Thursday, September 1, 2011

Expectations Vs. Reality Vs. Tumblr

Tumblr: basically a daycare for adults. Also, the leading cause of insomnia and an omnipotent cock block from productivity. However, my brewing theory is that Tumblr operates not only as blogging platform, but also as a reticent self-esteem killer and an discreetly devious manipulator that harps upon our expectations and reality.

I'm the first to say I've fallen victim to the social media conglomerate's hypnotizing bevy of gorgeous men and flawless women, garments that one can only wish would materialize in their closet, and borderline uncanny imagery that keeps us re-blogging till the sun sets. It unknowingly seeps into our subconscious, usurping our expectations of reality into a world fueled by fantasy and Photoshop.

Now listen, it's a necessity to escape into fantasy to survive, because it's the only way we can deal with reality. My imagination practically ruins reality for me. I'm not saying that the world of Tumblr is bad and that you should not be on it. It's indubitably the web's playground, infectious and amusing with numerous opportunities to get your voice heard via political activism, social justice, and cultural communication.

But what I'm targeting here is something that I discovered within myself. Personally, I don't have a Tumblr because I'm doing ok by me with my fabulous blog here. But I do find myself stalking my friends' Tumblrs by virtue of their humor, intrigue, art, fashion, music, etc. I see perfect men and women, fabulous clothes that I would sell my left first born child to have, and photography that leaves me speechless. I'm talking about the things you see like this:



It dwells on your self-worth and decays your self esteem if you're someone who's always wishing they looked different. It's like you scroll down the page and you can hear it whisper that you're not pretty enough, thin enough, "weird" enough, cool enough, etc. I even noticed that people say they fail to remember that they won't encounter the significant other of their dreams because of their desensitization to the alluring individuals they drool over on their dashboard. 

I mean reality isn't sepia with a hint of saturation, nor is it perfect. It would be boring if it were perfect. I guess that's the magical elixir of Tumblr's addictive nature. It offers an immaculate utopia, hence making reality seem bleak and uninteresting. 

So I guess what I'm saying is, the things you see on Tumblr certainly do glamorize life. And it's easy on the eye. But don't let it deteriorate your sense of self and your value. We're all unedited before we leave our abodes, and it shouldn't bring you down because someone has the haircut you wish to have, or a pair of heels that aren't in your closet. And you certainly shouldn't look down on other people. As fun as is to scroll down and enjoy the beauty of these images, remember that you're just as beautiful and that you possess the ability to make any change you want to make to yourself. Live your truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment