Tuesday, April 24, 2012

AMERICAN NIGHTS

Cheap whiskey, cheaper beer, fake eyelashes, faker nails, leather jackets, disco balls, late night booty calls; all the things we hold near and dear to our hearts. "American Nights" is a photography book about New York City nightlife through the lens of Brooklyn based photographer and Nuclears manager Ky DiGregorio. It scrutinizes the tales of friends, love, music, creation, fashion, passion, sadness, and hard work of one of NYC's most illustrious and beloved parties: Magic Monday.


I was on the verge of tears when I found out this book would become a reality. I feel like a legend. I frequently glimpse through my CBGB book and would think about how we're creating a second generation of the "Golden Age" of New York rock n'roll. I would tell Ky her iconic photos reminded me of the people I look up to and idolize in my CBGB book, a 160 page spread capturing 30 years of NYC's underground rock from 1973 to the present, only to be told her book featuring our faces was in the works.

A small town Jersey boy who idolizes 70's culture/music and dreamed about NYC stardom, would survive high school by styling his hair in crazy styles and adorning himself in gender ambiguous garments would eventually begin his journey to conquer the city of neon lights and dive bars. So this means a lot to me. I still have a long way to go, but if this isn't validation for my vision and future, I don't what is. So thanks you crazy wig-wearing, photo-snapping, partner-in-crime and all over perfect human being...and keep taking my picture.


I hope Iggy, Keith, Joan, Debbie, etc, don't mind making room for some more people I'm inspired by who are seen in this book. And I hope you, faboosh reader of mine, are inspired by us as well. Make sure you purchase the book HERE, available in hardcover and softcover!

CUZ WE'RE THE QUEENS OF NOISE

No comments:

Post a Comment